Prior to Surgery Instructions
- FOR PATIENTS RECEIVING IV SEDATION: DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING (INCLUDING WATER) for 6 hours prior to surgery (unless otherwise instructed). If you take daily medications, please take them at your normal time with a small sip of water. *
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office and drive the patient home. The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear a short-sleeved shirt to permit access to the area where anesthesia is to be administered and for the placement of the blood pressure cuff.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you use an inhaler or nitroglycerin, please bring your medications with you to your appointment.
- If prescriptions are written, the accompanying party may leave and fill prescriptions during surgery.
instructions regarding medications may be different for patients who have diabetes